Saturday, October 6, 2012

How much money is too much money?

Reading "Radical" by David Platt and it couldnt be better timing.  Most of the questions that have been on my mind for a while are present in the book.  I have constantly asked myself if I would give up everything for Christ.  After all, in the book of Mark, Jesus asks a wealthy guy to give up everything and follow him.  Of course, the guy chooses his things and I read that and think the man is crazy.  But I choose my things over Jesus - A LOT.  Probably more than I realize, I like to think the sacrifices I do make are sufficient.  And Jesus only asks certain people to give up things - not everyone, right?  But is this mindset biblical?  

Why is such a hard subject for churches and groups to tackle.  Because, it's the ultimate test - God or the world.  I definitely side on the opinion that lots of things/money is usually a bad thing.  But I know this isn't necessarily true either.  I know people use money and financial stability to support groups, charities and individuals worldwide.  We are blessed with nice things, to use moderately and without dominance or possession over us.  I need to get past the point of attachment.  Past the point of money and things being HIGHLY influential in my life.

Doesn't it boil down to trust.  Do I truly believe God will provide?  Do I truly believe he will take care of me if I take a leap of faith?  Do I choose his provision over my bank account?

I don't know why these questions continue to pop up.  I don't know the answers or I think I do but with some variance depending on the mood.  I don't want to live a lukewarm Christian life.  I want to trust God over everything else.  







2 comments:

  1. Radical is next on my list! I would've already read it but I decided to read Crazy Love three times haha, I want it to sink in! This is convicting.. I decided to go ahead and buy a car because I feel like I'm going to be here awhile longer... But the car is really nice and brand new and I can't help but feel guilty! It's hard to know when God is giving us a gift, and when we are being worldly. These questions have been constantly popping up for me too... I have sooooo much to grow in trust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Surrender is refusing to make idols out of God's blessings, but instead, receiving them as good gifts used for His glory." ~Mike Ashcraft
    Ran across this today, thought it was appropriate and wanted to share! Matthew 6:19-21 is also a good gut check, too.

    ReplyDelete