Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

The first holiday away from the family.  Thought it was going to be tough.  But then I realized Malawi doesn't know or care about Thanksgiving.  Ah, much easier.  It's just a normal day.  But keeping in tradition over the past few years, the McGraths did a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday night with most traditional dishes sans turkey.  It was a great time of worship and the food was incredible.  Pictures below.

On Saturday, another group of friends were doing Thanksgiving dinner as well.  So, I doubled up.  I sucked it up like a true american and shoveled down another incredible meal complete with multiple desserts.  It was a smaller and more intimate dinner - I don't have pics, we ate outside with candlelight which my camera doesn't like.  

On Sunday, I finally ate at the KFC.  I ordered the only sandwich combo on the menu - complete with coke and fries.  A really expensive meal for Malawi - about $7 USD.  The sandwich was really good, and the fries were better than the fries anywhere else in Blantyre....which are all the same.  It felt good to eat there.  I needed a comfort meal.  I found it unique that the Malawi staple - nsima is included on the menu.  An apparent attempt to lure Malawians in there, but the nsima meal is still far more expensive than any other place in Blantyre.  SO not sure how much nsima is sold there, but I can guarantee no malawians from CURE have eaten there.

The children's Christmas party (Dec 7) is in the planning stages.  I'm working with the hospital marketing director to develop a program for the kiddies.  Also, working on a staff Christmas program for the following week - that fell on my plate as well.  It's all good fun though.  I can't wait to party with the kids.  

Small group meets for the 2nd time this Tuesday.  At my house, the CURE guest house.  Attendance was only 7 for the first meeting.  We hope to have a few more people as we discuss what the gospel means and the early church in Acts.  Pray for this group, I desperately want it to grow and not become a boring, stuffy study with the same few people leading the discussion.

I'm going with my translator, Lawrence to his home village two weeks from now.  It will be my first time seeing his childhood stomping grounds.  I'm helping him create a blog and post info about a project to help children and the elderly in his village.  I will have a paypal link up soon.  If anyone is interested in donating money in order to purchase supplies/essentials for the village.

Thanks for following, always.







Alex - friend

Dave Burgess, medical director and ortho surgeon at CURE



we made dessert bowls since there were too many choices

Aysha, physiotherapist at CURE, Amina (daughter) & Nadine McGrath


Konde decorated for Thanksgiving 

Nina, german volunteer at CURE

Francie, german missionary

Roy Miller, anesthesiologist at CURE and Maxi (local NGO)

John McGrath. most gracious host ever

Humphries, friend/pastor/radio program host

Greg and Afton (american missionaries)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing what it's like to experience Thanksgiving in a faraway land. We're grateful you had friends who shared their food and fellowship with you. We missed you here, but we know that doing God's will is not always easy, but it's always right. You are making a difference in the lives of those precious children. Love always, Delb

    ReplyDelete