Monday, February 4, 2013

February is hot

Almost to the halfway point, it's hot and rainy here in Blantyre.  I don't know where the first 6 months have gone.  I feel like I just arrived here and then I feel like I've been here for years.  It depends on the day.  Overall, things are absolutely wonderful.  I still love this place and the people.  I love the children.  I love the community.  I love exploring new places and traveling in Malawi.  There are things that I miss - mostly people.  I've changed so much, it's scary.  I think about what another 6 months will do to me.  I don't think I could plug back in at home right now.  It's a scary thought but it's encouraging that I'm not completely homesick and ready to leave.  I've started thinking about august and I've got some ideas but it's too early to really throw them out there.  

I spoke to youth group on friday and it went well.  I don't know why I get so nervous when speaking to groups.  It always turns out ok and it boosts my confidence.  But the anxiety before talking is intense and I dream about it.  I'm ridiculous.  I talked about being reckless and non responsive to the gospel for 28 years of my life.  I talked about heart change, unconditional love/grace and my hope resting in Jesus.    

The village project with Lawrence is moving along.  We are going back on February 16 with a couple boxes of clothes, school supplies, sugar, salt, soap and washing powder.  The support is overwhelming and Lawrence is ecstatic on a daily basis.  I have the option of driving for the first time in Malawi - I'm not afraid but I would rather someone else drive.  

Still living in the guest house at the hospital.  I kinda had the idea of finding another house after 6 months but it's so convenient.  Currently living with a physio therapist from Australia, german gap year volunteer, british med student and two nurses from Denmark.  It's a bit crowded but it's fun getting to know people with a completely different background and story.  

I haven't been really sick since December.  Lots of folks are sick right now.  I am back on anti-malarials and being really careful outside at night.  From the friends that have gotten malaria recently, it looks and sounds awful.  

I still dont know the outcome of the super bowl and it's monday after the game.  There's a super bowl party this weekend and I'm waiting to watch it.  It's amazing how out of the loop you can be here.  No one even mentioned the super bowl all day on sunday.  Guys are busy watching the African Cup soccer right now.  If it isn't rugby or soccer, then it doesn't matter here.

I've started running again.  I don't like spending more than 7 minutes on a treadmill.  But I dont have much of an option since running outside is uncomfortable for me here.  There is an outdoor track at the gym, but there are massive ruts that you have to navigate thanks to recent rains.  


I wish I had the desire to write more.  But writing every day at the hospital sucks the motivation from me.  I have photographs.  Tons of photographs.  I think that's the way that I want to remember this year.  Through photos.  


I love you all.  Thanks for reading.  God is good. 

Phillipians 3:8
Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Mark. Although I miss you tremendously, the time is passing faster than I thought it would. Excited about the village progress!! Glad you haven't been sick. Please take care of yourself. Love & prayers, Mom.

    ReplyDelete