Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I feel like I just woke up....

Sitting at my desk.  11:39 am.  Wednesday October 2.  Back from a 10 day trip to the U.S. which felt like a long dream.  I miss home.  I miss people.  I miss family and friends.  Texts and calls are great but nothing beats seeing someone that you've missed.

I'm lucky.  I have a support network at home that is priceless.  My mom & dad are there for me, no matter the situation.  Even though they would like to see me more and living closer to home, they don't discourage me from looking at more time abroad.  My sisters made the effort to get to South Carolina to spend time with me.  My friends let me slip back into the picture without missing a beat.  We enjoyed conversations like I had never left.  Things weren't awkward or uncomfortable.  I'm truly lucky.

Back in Malawi.  Where wi-fi is reliable, 48% of the time.  Where french fries are chips and all chips taste the same.  Where there are never too many people in a bus. or car. or van. or room. or office.  Where people greet you, regardless of how they're doing.  Where machetes outnumber guns.  Where life is simple but chaotic.  This is home.  At least until the end of the year.


1 comment:

  1. Mark, home is where your story begins. We will always have your back and you have our hearts. Love you forever, Mom

    ReplyDelete