Thursday, December 29, 2011

End of The Year List

My top albums from 2011 - I don't listen to a lot of new or current music, so my list isn't very long.  One and two are in order, the rest are alphabetical and no order of preference.


1. J. Mascis - Several Shades of Why - Listened to this one over throughout the year, it came out early in March.  Everything that J. Mascis does is good to my ears.  Actually, anything J or Lou Barlow touches has tremendous staying power.  I will be listening to this album in 5 years, not confident to say that about the rest of my list.  


2. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care - this album was a surprise.  I love Explosions but their are other albums would not rank this high in an end of the year list.  For their other albums, I have gradually grown to love each of them.  I loved this album instantly.  Not sure what that means for lasting playability but for now, I'm wearing this record out.


Appleseed Cast - Middle States.  It's Appleseed Cast, probably one of my favorite bands of all time.  It's short, but the final track is 14 minutes + and it runs the gamut of emotions, up and down.  


All Get Out - The Season.  This album hit me hard.   I loved it before it came out.  I heard most of the songs multiple times LIVE and couldn't wait to blast them in a vehicle.  This record made up for the lack of playability that Manchester delivered with Simple Math.


Arrange - Plantation.  "Tiny Little Boy" may have been my most played song of the year.  
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Defeater - Empty Days and Sleepless Nights


La Dispute - Wildlife.  "King Park" is my favorite song, it blew me away the first time I heard it.  And every time after that.


Rural Alberta Advantage - Departing.  Singer's voice is nasally but I got into this band off a recommendation from some website.  Glad I did - another one of their albums, Hometowns is great too.


Twilight Singers - Dynamite Steps.  Another phenomenal album from Greg Dulli - formerly of Afghan Whigs.  His albums also have lots of staying power with me.


Wilco - The Whole Love.  It's Wilco and I love Wilco.  They can do no wrong in my book, this album was played in it's entirety daily since it came out.


We were promised jetpacks - in the pit of the stomach


Yuck - Yuck.  This is an album my older sister will probably love.  If you miss 90's rock, this is a good album to take you back.  Raw, dated sound, androgynous voices with a good mix of loud/soft tracks.


enjoyed but not at top of my playlist
Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math (sorry, still love the band but I need something different from them)
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Mogwai - Hardcore will never die but you will
Polar Bear Club - Clash Battle Guilt Pride
Real Estate - Days
Glassjaw - Coloring Book EP
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Mirror Traffic
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Tv On The Radio - Nine Types of Light

1 comment:

  1. Sorry...I've been missing these posts. I want to know more about yuck yuck.

    ReplyDelete