Monday, January 30, 2012

PRIDE

Any amount of pride that I'm able to kill is a big time victory. My pride is disgusting at times, and it is the root of lots of sin. I can trace all of my materialistic greed and envy back to my pridefulness. It's a constant competition with other people. It's wanting more. It's wanting something bigger. Something better. Someone else. It's needing control. It's wanting and needing attention. It's seeking praise and admiration.

C.S. lewis wrote
"According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind."

Knowing it's power, PRIDE is a tough thing to face. It's my pride that makes it difficult to admit it is a problem. Although it's a constant battle, I have found that remembering the cross and being redeemed is the one way to destroy it. We really earn nothing on our own. And we can't save ourselves. We are dependent upon Christ as our provider, whether we admit it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment