Thursday, February 23, 2012

I wanted to name my dog 'Thrice' in college, but decided on the name 'Blue' thanks to Will Ferrell

It was 2001 - I was a sophomore in college.  I was listening to rock radio and lots of rap music.  I was also listening to WUSC (college radio station at USC) at times, mostly during commercials on other stations.  One of the WUSC jocks played a song by Brand New and I remember really liking it.  The band was coming to new Brookland in a couple weeks and I decided to go.  No one would go with me but I had nothing better to do that night and I vividly remember sitting in my car as I parked outside of NBT, debating on going in alone.  I didn't want to feel awkward and everyone else was hopping out of their cars with friends.  I can't tell you how glad I am that I didn't leave.  I not only saw three bands that would shape my world for the next couple of years (Rufio, Brand New, Taking Back Sunday).  I witnessed a passion for music and an independent scene that would quickly become my home.  I have forgotten lots of shows over the years, especially since I started working concerts.  But I will never forget seeing Jesse Lacey (Brand New singer) pull out a bullhorn as Adam Lazerra (Taking Back Sunday singer) joined Brand New on stage to shout the lyrics at the end of 'Seventy Times 7.'  It changed me.  I left NBT that night with a newfound passion. 


Through that show at New Brookland, I found new favorite bands.  In fact, most bands that I follow today can be traced back to those independent roots.  One of those bands is Thrice.  When I first saw them, they were playing songs off Identity Crisis and maybe played to 50 people. A few years later, I met them in a Tremont dressing room while working for 106.5 in Charlotte.  I remember one of the guys was wearing socks and sandals which I found funny.  They talked about being bored on the road and constantly watching 'Curb Your Enthusiasm.'  They were regular guys.  There was no fake fascade or rockstar ego.  They loved the scene just as much as I did.  As the years have passed, I don't listen to Thrice or most of the bands that I first loved as much.  However, those bands will always hold a special place in my heart.


After a bunch of albums and years of touring, Thrice is going on an indefinite hiatus this year and I happen to be marketing their last show (possibly) in Charlotte.  I'm sure the room will be packed with lots of teeny boppers and I will feel too old to be there.  But I can be sure there will be a few people in attendence that also saw Thrice during that Identity Crisis tour.  Like myself, they love Thrice for more than just their music.  Thrice helped create a scene that supported our passion and made us feel accepted.  Thrice never made a lot of money or did massive shows but I can guarantee you their impact was exponential among fans.  They poured their hearts into every show that I witnessed and constantly gave back to their fans.  I will miss the heck out of Thrice and they will never be forgotten.            

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. You were changed for the better. If you need a shoulder to cry on after the Thrice show, let me know. I'm still recovering from my September 2011 heartbreak...:(

    ReplyDelete