Friday, February 17, 2012

So long 20's

So I turned 30 this week.  It feels odd.  I'm happy to be healthy and alive, but I don't feel 30.  I still like loud rock shows, tattoos, angry music and staying up really late.  I don't know if my tastes will ever change.  I am starting to mellow but I'm still me, just a little older.

I think year 29 will be looked back upon years from now and will mark the end of an era and the start of a new one.  It was a year of change and transition.  It was a year of great times.  It was a year of clear and sober memories, not hazy alcohol induced flashbacks at a bar.  It was a year with lots of solitude.  I did lots of things by myself.  The times alone was intentional, not wanting to give into relationships that weren't healthy.  Solitude also gives me time to think, focus and pray.  It was a year of tough decisions, it was a year of not giving in.   

Things that I didn't think were possible proved otherwise.  Affairs of the heart can be extremely difficult, but we are capable of overcoming them.  Desires of the flesh may be strong, but we're stronger through Christ.

I made plenty of bad decisions as well.  I did lots of "good" things with unhealthy motives.  I fell back to some of my former habits but quickly realized I can't do those things.  I am not the same as I once was, I will never be the same.   

1 comment:

  1. You've had the most amazing transition from being a 20-something to a 30-something. I am so proud of you and love who you are. Stay cool man. And, keep sending me letters from the 1800's.

    ReplyDelete