Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Destination Malawi

I was hinting around at the possibility of a big decision with the last post.  Well, it's official.  I am moving to Malawi, Africa for a year beginning August 25.  I will be working in a children's hospital for a Christian non-profit called Cure International (cure.org).  I will be taking photos and writing blurbs about the patients that come to the hospital in Malawi.  I will be providing content to inform Cure supporters how they can help sick or disabled kids financially or prayerfully.

I have prayed hard about this decision for some time - it feels right.  I have talked with friends, family and church family.  I have talked to missionaries.  I have emailed Cure folks back and forth with questions and concerns.  I have chatted on Skype with folks trying to reach a decision.  All signs point towards Malawi.  It lines up so well that I like to think God was preparing my heart long before I knew Malawi was a country in Africa.   

I will be working 8-4 in the hospital with a national named Lawrence - who will serve as a translator.  A lot of families and children wont know any english.  If they do speak English - it will be very rough and difficult to understand.  I'm praying that the love that I want to show suffering families will not be affected by the language barrier.  I can't wait to to grow without the distractions that I have here at home.  I can't wait to rely on God FOR everything.   

The logistsics are still being ironed out but Cure is providing housing, training and a monthly stipend.  This is such a blessing - I don't know of anyone that has traveled to Africa without having to raise their own funds.  I can't wait to see the work that God does on my heart while I'm there.

I hope to see friends and family as much as possible until I leave in August.  I m so blessed to be able to do something like this and know that I have so many people supporting me here at home.  If you pray, please remember me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment