Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Thunder

I sit in total darkness in my home.  2:46am.  I can feel the city is asleep around me.  I close my eyes.  I try to fall asleep.  A few minutes pass and the sound of booming thunder makes my open my eyes wide.  Flashes of lightning precede deep bass rattling thunder that echoes seconds after each strike.  I feel at peace.  The sound of hard, heavy rain follow the rapid lightning strikes.  It sounds like chaos outside.  The thunder sounds to be right outside my door.  I feel safe.


I love moments like these.  Moments when I realize I'm not in control.  Moments when it sounds like the world is falling apart.  and you realize, it's beautiful.  It's rhythmic and perfect.  Massive, powerful and unpredictable.


I curse migraines, especially when I have to sit up in the middle of the night because the pain is so intense that I can't lay down.  But I didn't mind it too much last night.  While everyone was sleeping, I was listening to the storm.  and I was calm.

1 comment: